Did you get an email asking you to update your MTA payment method? It wasn’t from us. Some customers have reported a fake email attempting to appear to be from “MTA Customer Service.” This phishing scam prompts individuals to update their payment information on a landing page that appears to be myMTA, but is not hosted or affiliated with MTA in any way.
Keep an eye out for suspicious-looking texts or emails requesting updated account info, updated payment details or posing as MTA customer service. If any come your way, please delete them and do not follow any links. You can also report them to the FTC here. Below is some information on what you should do if you receive an email like this and tips to help keep your online information safe.
- Company logos appear distorted.
- Your name isn’t used. Instead generic verbiage like “attention customer” or “dear sir” is used as the email greeting.
- The origination email is not the company address (i.e. official MTA communications will only include addresses ending in @mtaonline.net; @mtasolutions.com or @mta-telco.com).
- Grammar is very poor and words are often spelled incorrectly.
- The requests for information come suddenly without reason.
- MTA will never ask for personal information via text or email.
- If there is a link in the email – hover over it to see what the actual landing page is.
- If the landing page is not my.mtasolutions.com – it is not our customer portal.
- Reset your myMTA password to a new one that is strong and unique to that account.
- Change any other account password that used similar credentials (email and password).
- Contact your bank if you shared any payment information as it might have been compromised.
Never open an attachment or click any links in a suspicious looking email – delete it.
When in doubt if an email or request is legitimate, contact our support team directly at 745-6821. They are available 24/7/365.
The undeniable benefits that come from connecting more and more of our lives unfortunately can put our home networks, our devices, and even our identities at risk – this is why we created MTA Shield. MTA Shield provides unique privacy features to keep members’ data private both at home and on the go, a variety of user management tools, as well as identity protection features. When combined with MTA’s totalWiFi package, members will have greater peace of mind than ever before when it comes to their data security and privacy. Learn more here.